TRAVEL THE TRAIL
Haralson County (Bremen, Buchanan, Tallapoosa, Waco)
For more information about the quilt trail in Haralson County, please contact Gail Priest at 770.630.8946 email@example.com
SCHOOL HOUSE SQTHC 1
155 Van Wert Street, Buchannan, GA
N33° 48'11.47, W85° 11'21.85
The Little Creek "one room school house" is one of 23 one room-one teacher schools in existence in 1871. Is is a 20'x36' sturcture with a roofline of 20'. It is the only remaining one room school house in Haralson County and one of a few in the state of Georgia
PINE TREE SQTHC 2
103 Fern St. Bremen, GA
N33° 43'24.55, W85° 08'28.59
The Hardware Store is a brick and wood building built in 1955. It was built by Edgar Rhodes to operate a building material and supplies store known as the City Lumber Company. It continues to operate as a building supply store.
DRESDEN PLATE SQTHC3
322 Gordon St, Bremen, GA
N33° 43'30.76, W85° 08'55.38
In 1951, Hulett and Ruth White opened the Triangle Grocery in a building erected in 1936. Later they sold the business to Hulett’s brother Bill and Jean White, who continued in the grocery business. Both Ruth and Jean White have long been members of the Bremen Garden Club, which is sponsoring this quilt location on the site formerly occupied by the store.
SCISSORS OVER BOWTIE SQTHC5
126 Hamilton St., Bremen, GA.
N33° 43'18.10, W85° 08'50.39
The Sewell Mill building was built around 1908 as a Cotton Packaging Company. Warren and Robert Sewell bought the building around 1918 for the purpose of setting up the first tailored manufacturing facility ever in the South. About the same time, the former Cotton producers and the Sewell family began a company which was to later be named Gold Kist and is now a global multimillion dollar organization. August 2010.
Sewell Mill is now the “Fabric of Downtown Bremen” and boasts Redding Center for Business Growth, the Cherry Blossom Banquet Hall and a museum for the history of manufacturing in Bremen.
8 POINT STAR SQTHC7
805 Coppermine Rd, Buchanan, GA.
N33° 50'02.70, W85° 07'19.59
This barn was owned by Jim and Callie Dean. They established their family farm here on about 45 acres in the 1900’s. They raised five children including Idell, Sues, Bonnie, Bud and Leroy “T” Dean. The barn dates back to before 1930. The quilt was made by a cousin of the family, Ms. Louise Dean. All of the Dean women were handy with a needle and thread. The home was remodeled in 2006 and remains in the family. Painted by Mrs. Ellis’ Bremen Middle School Art class 2010.
GRANDMOTHER'S FAN SQTHC8
2174 Hwy 78, Tallapoosa, GA.
N33° 44'39.54, W85° 17'14.62
This fan pattern first appeared in the mid-19th century, was immensely popular by the 1880’s, and experienced a resurgence in the 1920’s and 1930’s during the Art Deco period. The brick building was constructed around 1924 by the Strickland family. No one knows what the original intent of the building was, but from the 1950’s forward several businesses occupied this structure – J.B. Warren Furniture Co., Jitney Jungle and Red & White Grocery Co., Otasco Store, Western Auto Store and today an electronics store. Painted by Amanda Davis.